July 23, 2010

Sleek MakeUP Palettes - Review



Ahh, the beauty of the Internet! 

Were it not for the web, I don't think I would have ever found out about Sleek MakeUP and their wonderful products; Namely, the i-Divine Eyeshadow Palettes. I have read reviews, seen swatches of and even watched great makeup tutorials on YouTube using these palettes so I was already pretty impressed before even seeing them up close. So when my parents were in London more than a month ago, I specifically asked them to pick up these two for me. 


For those who aren't familiar, Sleek MakeUP is a brand from the UK with a "particular focus on on women who are under-represented by major brands in the cosmetics market." I.e. women who aren't white. That alone earns Sleek MakeUP my praise! They boast in being "the only high street brand with 17 shades of foundation." Now, for those of us in North America, "high street" pretty much means drugstore. So I challenge you to find a drugstore brand that has 17 shades of foundation. I doubt you'll find any.

Sleek, I'm very impressed with you. 



The first thing I noticed about the palettes is how vivid the eyeshadows are. Especially because they're so cheap! Each palette holds 12 eyeshadows and it retails for £5.99 or approximately $10.00 CAD. To get that many good quality eyeshadows for that price is flipping outstanding

The colour payoff is amazing and the texture is not bad either. Some shades, specifically the shimmery ones, are a bit gritty but do blend in well. They also feel really creamy on the skin and last a good amount of time on the eyelids, especially if you use a primer/paint pot beforehand. 


The packaging is quite good for such an inexpensive product. No, it's not luxe, but it's sturdy. It's made of black plastic and as you can see in the photo above, has a ginormous miroir. I mean, who does that?! The cover snaps up in place very snugly and won't be in danger of opening. I should know since I shook it around to make sure! The palettes are quite thin and very light so it will fit easily into a standard, medium sized makeup bag:


I was able to fit the Sleek Palette into my makeup bag with room to spare for my lip products, pill box and other miscellaneous items. 


       
Another proof of the eyeshadows' colour payoff is when I took the photos above. My camera is old and is only 7.2 megapixels so I have issues with colour not appearing on camera as they do on my face. In fact, I typically need to pile the product on in order for it to be visible on camera. But I never had any issues when photographing my eyes for this review and I only needed to apply product as I normally would. 

Despite the grittier texture of certain shades, I had very little fallout. These products really do blend so easily onto the lid! And the best part? Barely any creasing! Granted, I do use Soft Ochre Paint Pot to prime my lids, but that doesn't always guarantee anything. I am typing this post 4 hours after taking the photos above and I have zero creasing! That in itself is a feat!


FINAL VERDICT
You must purchase one of these palettes! Go now! I honestly think this should be a staple for everybody's collection, especially if you're starting out with makeup. You get a good variety of colours (brights and neutrals alike) for an amazing price. Because if you're anything like me, you don't like to shell out on bright eyeshadows that you will barely use. These palettes give you the opportunity to get more for your money and the fact that they're such amazing quality is just icing on the proverbial cake. 

Now my dilemma is: which palette to get next?


                                                                               





3 comments:

  1. I reallyyyy want these, but I'm in the US :-( I wish they could be ordered online. The looks you did with them look awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jennifer - they ship to the US! i recently ordered 2 and with shipping it cost around $33.00. check it out here: http://www.sleekmakeup.com/EN/index.aspx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails