July 30, 2010

Help Stop Trafficking of Children & Young People!


Human trafficking is the third largest criminal industry in the world(1) and it is thought that 1.2 million children and young people are trafficked every year for sexual exploitation and cheap labour(2).
(1) unigift
(2) unicef 2007

A few years ago, I came across a documentary on TV that broke my heart. I have since forgotten the title of said documentary, but I can never forget the situations I saw: girls and young women kidnapped from their families and sold into brothels, forced to perform sexual acts on numerous men every day. In some cases, these girls are sold by their own families; a situation I hope to never understand. But can I judge these parents? No. It reminds me of the scene in Sophie's Choice where Meryl Streep has to choose to have both her children perish, or sacrifice one and save the other. Some of these families have many children they need to take care of and sacrificing one child seems like the lesser of two evils. I cannot even fathom having to make this decision and I hope none of us will ever have to.

As citizens of a developed world, I feel it is our responsibility to help our fellow man. Whether it's donating money for food, medicine, or stopping human trafficking, we all have it within us to contribute in whichever way we can.

This cause means a lot to me because I came from a developing world that still deals with human trafficking and because I love children. It makes me sick to think that these children are suffering immensely. How can we not help? How can we sit idly by and enjoy our luxuries without so much as a thought to people living in poverty?

So I implore you to sign The Body Shop's petition to get the ball rolling towards the end of human trafficking. They're also selling hand cream's and portions of those sales will be donated to Epcat. Or, if you'd much rather donate to Epcat directly, you can visit their website for ways to do so. Also, check out Charity Navigator for other charities that are helping stop human trafficking.

A bit of a serious post to start off the weekend, but I really feel that this is important. The blogging community really proved its importance during the MAC/Rodarte controversy and I believe if we join together for this, that more awareness can be raised. 

I'll leave you guys with this video I saw on YouTube. Maybe it will give you guys a better idea of the horrors these girls face.



We can make a difference in these people's lives.
Please do what you can to stop human trafficking.
Have a great weekend.

-Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails