July 15, 2010

Regret Purchases - Vol. I

During The Meltdown, I tried plenty of skincare products. So it's only natural that not all products would work well for my skin. These two stood out in particular.


Neutrogena Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes - Night Calming

So follow me down my path of logic. Me = dry, sensitive skin. Neutrogena Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes = gently dissolve all traces of makeup, night calming. Um, a match made in heaven? Yes, I think so.

So why did it make my skin burn? Neutrogena, you lied to me. Although, I think the "calming" may have more to do with the scent of the product. And I must say, it does smell rather nice. Maybe it's the perfume that made my skin react?

On a packaging note, the flap that opens to the product doesn't completely stick back down so there's a possibility of the towelettes drying out. Speaking of, these products are much wetter than I thought they would be; it feels very slippery on the skin. Not oily per sé, just slippery.

It does take makeup off well enough, but it's not worth the burning sensation. I mean, I used to clean my arm after doing swatches and it made my arm itch and as far as I can tell or remember, the skin on my body was never sensitive.


Origins Plantidote Mega-Mushroom Face Cream

This one really kills me. Why?

a) Because I heard such great things about this product: Helps quiet and calm skin? Skin with stronger, healthier, more youthful appearance? I.WANT.
b) Because this product cost me a whopping $85 CAD for 50mL.

I wanted all the things it promised me; and if it was going to cost me $85 to get it? Well then, I was just gonna have to suck it up and bear it. Is it so wrong to expect an $85 moisturizer to actually moisturize instead of just sitting on top of my skin, leaving it oily? Is it too much to expect for it to do what it says it's supposed to? I don't think so.

Yes, I could've returned it. But I kept giving it time thinking that if I just kept using it for one more week, it'll start working. Well, it didn't. So now I'm stuck with it. I'll occasionally reach for it to see if I'll change my mind, but so far I haven't.



Do you have any recent regret purchases?
Share!

5 comments:

  1. It's always interesting to read about the 'regret' purchases... I used to work at MAC so I used to get a lot of their products and the one I didn't like and actually returned (which I usually never do) is the mineralize skinfinish natural powder. It was too pink for my NC30 skintone. I'd applied it all over the face as setting powder and my husband said, "you're wearing a lot of make-up today" - and if HE notices, then something's NOT right! But for a lot of people the powder is fine so don't let me put you off it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Café Bellini it is interesting, isn't it? i always like to read negative reviews because it helps me make an informed decision. i hardly ever buy makeup on impulse, i always do my research first. thanks for your thoughts on the MSF natural. i've been intrigued by them for a while and would like to try one and your info really helps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, a huge regret was the famous Philosophy line - I bought a small collection to check all the products at once and I was kinda horrified.

    The microdelivery scrub was so harsh on my oily skin, the hope in a jar cream smells horrendous and does nothing but leave an oily film behind and the hope in a tub cream (for eyes & lips) does a decent work but makes my skin shine and my eyes sting (for real!).

    The only thing I salvaged is the famous cleanser - which does its work fine (cleanses) but leaves my skin a bit tight afterwards.

    Such a waste of money - and everyone swears by it!

    Also, MAC mascaras - they make my lashes look so cakey, even with one carefully fitted coat. I always use them in combination with some other mascara now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sugarenia - omg, I am SO with you on that one! The Microdelivery Peel made me break out and SO much and it lasted for almost 7 months! i tried just the cleanser again a few months ago and it gave me a reaction too. i'm not going anywhere near that line now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I regret buying Neutrogena cream eye makeup remover. It said on the box that it was good for sensitive eyes and people who wore contact lens and as I fell into the latter category, I bought it.

    OH MY GOD, I was in a world of pain using it. It stung like a mother and it gave me blurred vision for about half an hour after using it. I chucked it away after the second use.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails