July 27, 2010

NOTD - L'oréal High Tide



First, let me preface this by admitting that I'm not much of a nail polish person. Well, at least not on my fingernails. Honestly, I should probably change the title to NOTW (w for week) because I'm kind of lazy when it comes to painting my nails. However, I'm pretty diligent with my toenails and very rarely do I go "bare-nailed." So I don't think you'll be seeing these NOTD posts a lot because no one needs to see my feet on the internet.

Anyhoo, I have to ramble a bit about this shade because it's (I think) a pretty close dupe to Eyeko's Rain Polish, which I first saw on Lipglossiping. I loved it because it's a pretty unusual colour, one I've not seen anywhere. I could've purchased Rain Polish online, but it came in a package of 3 and I wasn't interested in the other two. So, I resigned myself to missing out on an awesome colour (it's Limited Edition).

So imagine my surprise when I saw a pretty similar shade at London Drugs yesterday. It's L'oréal's High Tide, which was released in their Passport to Paradise collection this summer. Did I mention it was on sale for $2.99? I flipping love sales!




First of all, please excuse the horrid cuticles, I couldn't find my cuticle cutter. But it's a pretty good dupe, no? It's a tad on the gray side though, I'll give you that. There's a shimmer visible when looking through the bottle but I can't say it's visible once applied on the nails, all you get is the wonderful colour and a glossy finish.

Although, I have to say it's not the easiest varnish to work with. It does apply on streaky and you need 2-3 coats. I've applied 2 coats and you can see the brush strokes on my nails. See, what I typically do when working with streakier formulas is apply a thin coat, allow to dry, then apply a thick coat. I don't think this polish is suited for that. I think if I had layered 3 thin coats instead, I would've avoided the evidence of brush strokes.

Anyway, love, love, love this colour! I like to think of it as a more sophisticated pastel and I like to think one could make this work for the fall as well. And this has probably been the wordiest NOTD post ever! Is there an award for that? I think I deserve it...


What say you? Do you have this shade? Do you love it?

2 comments:

  1. LOVE that color! I might need to run out and try it for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Amanda - you should! It's a great colour :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails