August 15, 2011

Effective & Inexpensive Makeup Removers, FTW!



When I was younger, I didn't always remove my makeup before going to bed (for shame!). But as I got older and I began to understand the importance of makeup removal and good skincare in general, I became more diligent in my nighttime ritual.

That said, I'm still a bit of a lazy butt; especially now that I tend to get home quite late. So I need products that don't require much work and I don't want it to cost a pretty penny. Sound unreasonable? I think not! Especially when I've found products that fit the bill.


Marcelle Essentials Soothing Cleansing Water

From Marcelle: A soothing, refreshing water that gently cleanses and tones skin while removing eye make-up; just what you wished for. Introducing Essentials Soothing Cleansing Water make-up cleanser, a rinse-free formula that micro-emulsifies impurities and waterproof make-up without irritating skin, gentle for even the driest and most sensitive complexions. Skin feels clean, refreshed and revitalized.

I never jumped on the cleansing water bandwagon; until now, that is. I was looking for a makeup remover that was fuss-free but 100% effective and the lovely Rae of TheNotice suggested this product. Well, I can see why she loves it so much, this stuff is good

It removes makeup so easily; yes, even all my eye makeup (with the exception of waterproof mascara) and it doesn't leave a residue behind. So if you are, let's say camping or on a long flight, there's no need to rinse! It also doesn't have a scent so, like the name suggests, it's perfect for those with sensitive skin. I still remember when my skin threw a tantrum a year ago and I could've really used this stuff then. 

It removes all my face makeup as well (as proven by my makeup free cotton pad after using toner) but I find that I do need to use a 2-3 round cotton pads to get the job done. But that's only because the cotton pads are so small and I need to cover a large amount of surface area...

You know, one would think this cleansing water would be boring; it doesn't have any fancy tricks or anything. But the fact that it looks like plain ol water and yet removes all my makeup like a breeze kind of amuses me. 

"How does it do that?! It's like magic!" o_O


L'oréal Skin Genesis Micro-Smoothing Wet Cleansing Towlettes

From L'oréal: When used as part of a daily skincare regimen, these cleansing towelettes complement and optimize the performance of your other Skin Genesis products. With a special embossed fabric that grips and retains impurities and even makeup around the eyes, these towelettes provide for very effective cleansing. With BHA, these towelettes naturally enhance daily cellular renewal to help provide smoother, brighter and fresher skin. Containing a natural cleansing agent, these towelettes gently cleanse skin and respect natural skin moisture balance. Dermatologist tested for gentleness, non-comedogenic (won't clog pores), all skin types.

Since I'll be in the Philippines for a month, I wanted to bring wipes to keep the removal process simple. So I asked Google what the best drugstore makeup remover wipes on the market were; which led me to Karen of Makeup and Beauty Blog's review of the L'oréal Skin Genesis wipes. Suffice it to say, I like what I read so I went out and bought it along with Marcelle's Cleansing Water.

First of all, I love the scent. It's on the stronger side and it does linger (like MAC's wipes), but it doesn't bother me in the least because I like how it smells. However, if you have perfume allergies, you'll probably want to skip this one. The cloths are super soft and feel lovely on the skin; it has a texture, but it's not abrasive. Most importantly, it removes my makeup pretty darn well. I'm not gonna lie, it doesn't get all of my long-lasting eye makeup (eyeliner and mascara) in one go, but I'm sure with a few more swipes & a bit of elbow grease, it'll come off eventually. I tend to not resort to that, though. In the interest of saving time and keeping the skin around my eyes from getting raw, I choose to use the Marcelle Cleansing Water to remove eye makeup instead. 

But as for the face, I find that these wipes remove every single trace of foundation, blush, what have you from my skin. I do require a rinse because they leave a bit of residue, but once I apply my toner after, I don't see any makeup on the cotton pad at all. Perfect for those especially lazy nights! Also, the packaging is pretty awesome. Unlike most other wipes, these have a lid that snaps shut which ensures that your wipes don't dry out (something that happened regularly to my Neutrogena wipes).

Lastly, who doesn't need a little help in the blemish department (if you don't, then I officially hate you. I'm just kidding no I'm not)? I certainly do and the fact that these have BHA makes my skin happy. Using these wipes in combination with my daily skincare regime has really helped my skin look clearer... At least it did for a bit. And then hormones struck -_-'. That said, even with hormonal breakouts, I did notice that the blemishes were not as big and didn't stick around as long.


So...

If you're looking for inexpensive makeup removers that get the job done, I cannot recommend these two products enough. I've been using both religiously ever since I bought them about a month ago and they have yet to disappoint. Drugstore brands have been really stepping up their game these last few years and Marcelle & L'oréal have well and truly hit the mark with these products. They'll definitely be packed in my suitcase for my month-long trip, you can be sure of that!

Marcelle Essentials Soothing Cleansing Water (200mL) - $14.99 CAD
L'oréal Skin Genesis Micro-Smoothing Wet Cleansing Towelettes (25 wipes) - $10.99 CAD






What makeup remover are you using right now?







No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails