December 2, 2010

These Are A Few Of My Favourite Things...


Since I've already blogged about my favourite products for this month, I felt like sharing with you one of my most favourite films of all time: The Sound of Music. I love music, so musicals have always had a special place in my heart. It's one of those films that I can play and just instantly feel better, no matter what horrible things I've had to endure that day. 

So, if you don't mind looking at crappy photos (my laptop won't allow a screen grab when a dvd is playing, so I had to use my camera and take a photo of the screen) and read mindless commentary, then by all means, join me as I share my favourite moments (warning: there's a lot :p).



The hills are alive with the sound of music... Probably my favourite song from the film. 
Julie Andrews voice is truly incredible.


Hearing the Sisters' descriptions of her during "Maria" amuses me to no end! "When I'm with her, I'm confused. Out of focus and bemused. And I never know exactly where I am." Haha! Plus, the harmonies in the last line is exquisite.


I Have Confidence! This is a great song to belt out when you're feeling a bit unsure of yourself. 


Meeting the Captain and the children for the first time. Christopher Plummer is so good in this role and he speaks with great authority and conviction. 
The moments after with the children is also kind of adorable. 


When I first watched this, I was a child and had no idea what a Nazi was. Now that I'm (a lot) older, I can't seem to make myself watch "16 going on 17" because all I can think of is, "ugh, he's a Nazi! Don't do it, Liesl, DON'T!" Haha! But I remember a time when there was something SO adult about sneaking out after dinner to meet the boy you liked at the gazebo... Even if he was a Nazi-in-training :p. Anyway, that's why I loved this number so much when I was younger.  Plus, Liesl's dress is gorgeous and I wanted one of my own :).



This song is so fluffy and sweet, I may have developed cavities while watching it. Still, it's so catchy, no? And again, it's just one of those songs that really do make you feel better :).






Do Re Mi, probably one of the most iconic musical numbers in film history. The scenery is amazing and the song is, too. My brother and I actually had photos taken in the very same spots they filmed the last 3 pictures at when my family went to Europe in 2005 (this was in Salzburg). Unfortunately, when our old computer crashed, my dad decided not to retrieve the lost files :(. Oh well, I suppose I'll just have to take photos again when I go next. Can't hurt to dream, can it? :p



A favourite because people falling out of canoes into the water is always funny and because the Captain pretty much gets his arse handed to him by a postulant :p.


I may or may not have teared up once or twice while watching this scene at one time or another... The captain singing again for the first time since his wife died, the children seeing the father he used to be, them singing together... Reunited and it feels so gooood!


The Lonely Goatherd is one of my favourite songs in the film. It sounds weird, but I think it's quite clever how Rodgers and/or Hammerstein rhymed the verses and the yodeling section is super catchy. 
Well, at least to me :).


Not only is Edelweiss a beautiful song, but you also get to see the children in awe of their father, Maria falling in love with the Captain, and Max & the Baroness noticing it all. All of which passed right over my head when I was younger.



Well, there's no disputing these two are in love. 
Anyway, The Laendler is such a cute dance and I love the orchestration, too.



Another cute, fluffy song. And Gretl's part in the end is SO cute!


Purely because the Baroness gets owned. That's what you get for getting rid of Maria!


Because Gretl makes the best faces. 


She came back! *sobs*


Together forever and never to part / Together forever, we two!
Did I really just write Rick Astley lyrics?... I did...
My lameness knows NO bounds!



The Captain sticking it to Herr Zeller by singing Edelweiss = awesome!



Ohhh, snap! Sisters know how to deal with the Nazis! Don't mess!


They made it <3.
Not historically correct, but it makes for good dramatic content :p.






Congratulations if you made it through this frivolous post!
What's your favourite film of all time?






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails