September 21, 2011

Want All Natural Sun Protection? Look No Further, Pure+simple Has You Covered


*Get it? Covered? Coz, it's a sunscreen and... Never mind.

This summer, Vancouver got to experience some pretty hot, sunshiny days. All that heat was doing a number on my skin and it became oilier than it has been in a while. Neutrogena Water-Light was no longer cutting it for me, so I bought Clarins Sunscreen Control Cream and it did work for some time. But both were just no match for the heat and both also contained Oxybenzone which is apparently known to cause "an increased production of free radicals," which possibly makes it a "photocarcinogen". Now, I don't claim to be an expert on Oxybenzone, but I've read up on it a bit and I didn't like what I read, so I sought out a product that didn't contain any.

I came across Pure+simple thanks to Arianne of The Glitter Geek and Elaine of Toronto Beauty Reviews and the wonder that is Twitter (care to follow?). So I checked out the website and became intrigued by their all natural sunscreen.



From Pure+simple: Natural sun protection that purifies and balances the skin's natural oil production using sage.
  • Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A) Free
  • SPF 30
  • Purifies and balances the skin's natural oil production using sage
  • Non-greasy formula
  • Can be used with a moisturizer or alone
  • Great makeup base
  • Does not leave a white residue
Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (6%), Zinc Oxide (6%)
Inactive Ingredients: Deionized Water (Eau), Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Lecithin, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Glycerin, Xantham Gum, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract (Green Tea Extract), Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) Fruit, Eucalyptus Leaf Oil, Leaf Oil, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Oil.

So far, I've been loving this product! It smells really fresh, which is always welcome in the morning when you're still a bit groggy. My sense of smell really gravitates to the coconut oil too, which I love because coconut is a scent I've come to appreciate. It's quite subtle though, which is pretty much the only way I can handle coconut scents :p. 

It smoothes onto the skin nicely; it's watery at first, but as you apply it onto your skin, it starts to feel thicker. It dries within seconds and it feels like the product is "gripping" your skin, instead of melting into it; which kind of makes sense since it's a physical sunscreen (physical meaning it deflects UV rays, as opposed to absorbing it like a chemical sunscreen would).



It says that it doesn't leave a white residue, although I find that it makes my skin look a tad lighter. I also find that it makes my skin look smoother and more even. Not sure if it has anything to do with this product though, since my skin's been behaving pretty well :p.

The best part is, it does well to keep the oiliness under control. The other week, Vancouver experienced a bit of a heatwave, with temperatures going up to 27º Celsius and this sunscreen really impressed me! Granted, I still had to blot and powder (once), but not as often as I needed to when using other sunscreens. 

I'm so glad I purchased this product. Seeing as I'll be experiencing an extra month of Summer in October (nearly 30º Celsius every day hurrah) as I head back to the motherland, this sunscreen will really come in handy! 

Pure+simple products can be purchased online or in their spa locations within Toronto. This 50mL sunscreen cost $15.95 CAD and they have a 100mL bottle that retails for $25.95. They also have other sunscreens with formulas for anti-aging, face & body, and sensitive skin. Pure+simple stock other natural brands as well so have a look, if you're interested!





Do you prefer physical sunscreens? Which is your favourite?





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails