February 1, 2012

Monthly Favourites - January 2012


I don't know about you, but 2012 has been pretty good to me so far. If the past month is an indication of what the rest of the year is going to be like, then I have to say I'm pretty excited about what's to come!

A bit of news before I get to my favourites. If you guys follow me on Twitter, then you'll probably already know this. But for those who don't, I am now a contributor for She Said Beauty's blog. Check out my first post here and my latest post here!

I also recently started school for Makeup Artistry and am currently taking the Makeup Artistry Fundamentals course. It's been going well so far and I'm really excited to get my hands dirty, so to speak, and finally do makeup on a face that's not mine :p. I'll be writing about my progress as I go along; check out my first post about MUA classes here.

With the out of the way, let's get to the favourites, shall we?


Bourjois Paris Healthy Mix Serum Foundation in 53 Beige Clair

I've been dying to try this foundation for some time now, but I couldn't justify buying another foundation... So I threw out my other ones :p. No, really, I did throw them out. But not because I wanted another foundation (well, I kind of did), but because I've had them for a more than a year already and I felt it was time to let them go.

This has been my go-to foundation ever since I purchased it and I've been loving it. It applies & blends onto the skin very well and is a great match for my skin tone/colour. I can't say it lasts for 16 hours, though. I find that I need some blotting and a bit of a touch up after around 5 hours of wear time. Still, it's fantastic for every day wear and I love how my skin looks whenever I use it. 

To see this foundation in action, check out my Spring for Less look. 


MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in Medium Plus

I've been wearing this MSF Natural two ways: to top off or touch up my the Healthy Mix Serum foundation and all by its lonesome. I absolutely love how this foundation make my skin look. My skin does look semi-matte for a few hours, but my natural glow comes through after some time. It feels super light on the skin, but it offers enough coverage.


MAC Mineralize Blush in Subtle Breeze & MAC Blush Ombré in Azalea Blossom

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I think I'm turning into a blush fiend. These two blushes have been the only ones I used this past month. Subtle Breeze (left) is from the Naturally collection, while Azalea Blossom (right) was repromoted in the Daphne Guinness collection; both are utterly, utterly gorgeous!


Burberry Beauty Lip Mist in Camelia No. 7


I'm a big fan of Burberry, and when I found out they were branching into cosmetics, I got really excited. On boxing day last year, I finally was able to purchase my first Burberry Beauty product. Funnily enough, my dad and my brother picked this shade. 

Lip Mist's are supposed to impart a "subtle hint of colour," but it's actually more pigmented than that. Or at least this particular shade is. It feels really comfortable on the lips, but I have to say that I don't enjoy the scent at all. I can't really describe the scent, but it's quite unpleasant. Fortunately, the smell dissipates after a few minutes. Also, it has an awful taste; which I don't think is the taste of the lipstick per sé... You know how you can taste a scent sometimes? I can't really explain it, all I know is that it's kind of gross. But obviously it hasn't stopped me from wearing this because I have been all month. The shade's too pretty and I can't help myself, yo! 

The packaging is also très luxe and will you just look at that pattern! I love! <3


Maybelline Baby Lips Lip Moisturizing Balm in Cherry Me & Revlon Lip Butter in Berry Smoothie

I love how effortless these lip products are. Cherry Me is a lot thinner than Berry Smoothie, but it keeps my lips from from getting chapped and flaking up much better. Berry Smoothie definitely doesn't hydrate as well as the name Lip Butter would suggest, but this shade is just sooo pretty! I keep these two in my purse all the time and just alternated to my heart's desire.


C.O. Bigelow My Favorite Night Balm

I've been moaning about the dry skin around my lips enough that I don't think I need to talk about the situation again. I've taken to wearing this balm even during the day and it's done wonders. My lips haven't felt this good in months!


Liz Earle Instant Boost Skin Tonic & Skin Repair Moisturiser

I honestly don't understand what's going on with my skin these last few months. It's been pretty oily, so I purchased a lighter moisturizer, but it wasn't hydrating enough. Now my skin is dry again. Oh skin, please make up your mind!

I started using the Liz Earle toner and moisturizer again and it's been keeping my skin under control. My skin still gets oily after a few hours, but I'd rather have to blot than deal with dry patches. Also, the combination of these two products and the C.O. Bigelow nighttime balm has kept the skin around my lips free of dry patches. It's calmed my skin a lot and I wake up in the morning with soft, supple, and non-irritated skin. 


Bumble & bumble Tonic Lotion & Kevin Murphy Sticky Business


When I had my hair cut by the amazing Katie-Rose, she used these two products to style my hair. The Bumble & bumble Hair Tonic is meant to be "prepare hair for styling" and I find that my hair looks much smoother when I use it prior to blow drying my hair. Also, if I don't plan on washing my hair, I use this to re-wet and smooth down the hair on the left side of my head, where the hair is much shorter. Because when I wake up in the morning, that side looks like this

Meanwhile, Sticky Business is meant for a "deliberately disheveled look." I use it to smooth down my shortest hairs and I scrunch it into the longer hairs for more body and some wave. This stuff is amazing! All you need to do is zhuzh the paste into your hair and it creates an effortless style.


POLL TIME!


As I mentioned above, I am a contributor for She Said Beauty. I need some help or my next article and I would really appreciate it if you guys took the time to take this poll!
Do you prefer having lighter or darker skin?
Yes
No







Here's to a Fabulous February!






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails