April 14, 2011

Burt's Bees Soap Bark & Chamomile Deep Cleansing Cream Is "All Bark & No Bite."




Have you ever taken those "What's Your Skin Type" tests online? I know Sephora used to have one when they implemented the Skincare Challenge. I have done a few myself and it generally comes out as "dry." Next comes the recommendation of products, but the thing is, they almost always suggest a cleansing milk.

Now, I have nothing against cleansing milks. In fact, I'm using up two at the moment (Boots Original Beauty Formula Cleansing Milk and The Body Shop's Cucumber Milk Cleanser), but mostly to remove any makeup from my skin. However, now that my skin has normalized a bit, I find myself needing a deeper cleanse once in a while. This is where the Burt's Bees Soap Bark & Chamomile Deep Cleansing Cream comes into play.




Firstly, the thing that drew me to Burt's Bees is due to their commitment to using natural products & animal rights, plus the fact that their products are free of parabens and sulfates. Secondly, I love that their products are affordable and accessible to nearly everyone who lives near a drugstore.

When I started doing my research, I had a look at the website and this is what they had to say about the product:

This rich, sulfate-free facial cleanser is made with a gentle, yet effective plant-based cleansing complex featuring quillaja saponaria (soap) bark extract and witch hazel. Luxurious lather foams away excess dirt, oil and makeup leaving skin feeling clean and refreshed. Extracts of chamomile, echinacea and aloe help soothe and calm skin while glycerin and cocoa butter provide a touch of moisture for naturally fresh, healthy-looking skin.

It sounded like the product for me to try: a cleanser that would me a deeper clean without stripping my already dry-ish skin too much.




I've been enjoying this cleanser, I must say. It's a nondescript white cream that smells minty with a trace of something my nose can't necessarily place. It's an odd scent and it took some getting used to, but it's in no way offensive.

With a minty scent involved, you would assume there would be a tingling sensation involved as well, and you would be correct. It doesn't sting at all but I do notice a more intense tingling in the upper lip area. I quite like the sensation because it feels refreshing on the skin.

That said, as much as I do enjoy using this cleanser, it is simply not one I can use every day. After about a week or so of using this product, I developed some dry patches again. Nothing severe, just small areas with flaking around my nose and chin. So I've taken to alternating between this product and my Aveeno Moisturizing Bar so my skin doesn't dry out too much. I've also noticed my skin clear up a bit (but not completely) after a few uses of this product, which is always a plus if you deal with blemishes.

I recommend this product for those with normal to oily skin. If you have skin on the dry side, like me, alternate this cleanser with something that imparts more moisture or is less stripping. However, if you have sensitive skin that stings easily, the tingling sensation of this product might be too much for you.






What is your favourite deep cleansing product?




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails